Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Single Mother

I find joy and hope in the fact that I am a single mother. I try to take very good care of my children ...I give my all to my kids. I have a career and I make time to get to know my children and to be with them despite my work load. I love my kids. My kids remind me of what innocence looks like.



The last few weeks have been the most trying of times in my single motherhood. The "friend" that was keeping my son gave me notice that she could no longer keep my son to pursue other goals. Childcare is so expensive, but I had to enroll my son into daycare. His daycare does not open til 6:30am, but I have to be at work at 6:00am. I didn't see the problem because I have brought my child to work with me before with no problems. However, today someone saw me w/ my child and decided that they needed to hold an entire meeting on my childcare issues w/o me being in attendance. I felt very violated. These people in this company have no problem calling me in the middle of the night when they need an inspection done...I was a single mother then and I had to bring my children to work with me. These people have no problem with my coworker that brings his child to work with him everyday...but only with me and my child...and only today. These people had no problem hiring me after I told them that I was a single mother of two children and my nearest relatives are two hours away...no problem then, but today...they had a problem with it.



It amazes me at how these stuffed shirts forget where they come from. Some of these people have either came from a single parent home, or have sisters/brothers that are currently the head of a household and a lone parent, but yet they find no sympathy for those of us that are doing it everyday because it may somehow mess with their productivity. My life is not easy and yes it was one that I chose. Would I rather have a man that would help me raise my children? Yes, but that didn't happen so now I am dealing with it as best as I can. I don't need people to remind me of how tough my situation is or how bad my situation is. I am living my situation. I am breathing my situation. I don't need advice as to how to get by with my children ... Ive learned every trick of the trade. The most that I need is help and understanding when it comes to my children and raising them. Help, understanding, and human compassion is the most that anyone needs in such situations. Being a single mother is the single most great task that I have ever taken on and it will come with a great reward. I love my children and the fact that I have been chosen to raise my children. That being said...Single mothers listen to your advice only to be civil, but what we really want to say is Shut up and Saddown because you couldn't live our lives if you got paid to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Sug, I'm so sorry for your trouble. The heathens! I hope you get a chance to talk to management and make them see things your way. Your children are very lucky to have you as their mommy. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your travails. I don't even sweat the naysayers anymore. Like you said, they knew your situation up front, and that must have meant they knew that this was a possibility at some point. They'll get over themselves or not, either way you keep doing what you need to do to support your babies. Take care!

    ReplyDelete