Monday, August 17, 2009

Lending a Helping Hand

I am no good Samaritan. As a matter of fact when I see people in a fix/trouble, I try not to make eye contact so that they won't ask me for help. Yeah, I know, I should do better, but at least I'm honest about it. Well, I was coming out of the grocery store on Friday, and I see this elderly lady barely walking to her vehicle with a basket full of groceries. She was shuffling her feet, barely lifting her feet to make the baby steps to get to her vehicle. I was moved to pity. So, against my better judgement I walk over to her and ask her, "Do you need some help?" She promptly says, "NO!" I turn to walk away when she, says under her breath "Ion need no help from no colored woman" I immediately turned around and my instincts were to go over and kick this old broads legs from under her. I just gave her a look, but I continued to my car, which was parked right next to her truck. I over hear her tell her hubby, "Did you see that colored gal, ask me if I needed some help?" I just shook my head and laughed.

First off, who says, "colored" anymore, unless they are referring to how they colored in a coloring book or something. I mean really that showed me that this woman was close to 100 years old with that type of dialect. She called me a "gal" I haven't heard "gal" since I watched Rosewood or Color Purple. I felt like I was living back in the 50's. I didn't address her ignorance, but it did give me a perspective about minding my own business. If, I hadn't tried to help the old worn down bitty with her groceries I would've never been subjected to such foolishness. So, the next time I see that old dusty bag of bones and her hubby struggling to do anything... I will just turn my head and keep it moving because this, "colored gal" has better things to do then to be insulted by an old dusty decrepit bag of bones.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, Suga, don't let one old lady ruin it for the rest of the old ladies. She was simply and ig'nant one. It was nice of you to try to offer assistance and even nicer not to kick her legs from underneath her. LOL!

    ReplyDelete